Special credit to Cool Banker Ken for this week's catchy title. The conversation was intense this week in the Banking Careers mastermind that I lead, with the role out of PPP, and some of the time, process, and customer challenges that popped up in the process.
I was really proud of the discussion this group had. They dug in together and focused on creating solutions to their frustrations...and that's what this week's Windshield Wisdom is all about.
1. Now is an extraordinary time to be a banker. All of our customers are under some form of stress, and we're the gateway to a lot of the solutions. The long days and nights we are putting in mean a lot to them.
2. It's our time to shine. Cool Bankers are communicating through this process with their clients. Sometimes calming nerves, sometimes giving the best information and timelines we have, and with luck giving lifelines that are keeping...
Long ago, when I was first starting out… I learned the most important lesson of my career.
It was a “meta” lesson and it was about my reputation and perception.
I thought about this recently when I was working with a client, and his entire personal brand was directly tied to the bank he worked for, and had little to do with his own value to their success.
He and I sat down and discussed what he would like his customers to say about him, as well as did some research into what they're actually saying now...and that’s what this week’s video is all about:
1. Whether you like it or not, you do have a personal brand in the marketplace you serve. The big question is are you deliberately defining and influencing the perceptions others have of you, or are you letting it just happen?
2. Start by deciding what 3 words you would like your customers to use when describing you. There are no...
In last week's Windshield Wisdom we talked through before and during meeting strategies you can employ to help ensure your great prospects stay responsive, and continue to move forward through your pipeline.
Based on the feedback you guys have shared, you agree that, in this case, the best offense is a good defense. Click here to go back and start at part 1, The Great Disappearing Act of 2018.
So, what happens when, despite all your planning, great value driven advice, and mutual commitments based on their timing (not yours) doesn't work and they still disappear anyway? Listen, it's going to happen at some point, but a suddenly unresponsive prospect doesn't mean the deal is gone. When that happens, I employ one of these three tactics to bring the occasional ghost back into the light...and that's what this week's Windshield Wisdom is all about.
1. Sometimes, despite executing everything on your end perfectly, a...
It's happened to all of us.
You have a dream meeting. It's open and honest. The conversation flows naturally, and you learn things about your prospect that they openly admit they've never shared with a banker before.
In the end, both of you feel like you're better off for having met, and look forward to exploring working together more in the future.
So, you do what you normally do, a few weeks or months later you reach out to rekindle the awesome conversation you both enjoyed so much...and nothing happens.
You send emails. You make phone calls with messages referring to the previous conversation. You reach out on social media.
Nothing. Nada. It's like they've fallen off the face of the earth.
Before you do a panic "stop in" call, take a second to step back and think about why they might be spurning your advances, and what you can do differently to make sure it doesn't happen again...and that's what this week's...